Saturday, August 16, 2008

SATURDAY STUDIO SIGHTING

On Saturdays I will peek into artists Studios. I love to see the places where people create. I also find it amazing that many people create without studios. I am a firm believer that creativity happens anywhere and everywhere. I have lived that most of my life. It has only been since I moved home to care for my mom that I have had any kind of space that I could dedicate to my creativity and call a studio.

During my years in under-grad and grad school I had no space because my living spaces were so small that my “studio” was sitting on the floor in front of my favorite coffee table (that went with me almost everywhere) that had a glass top. I was a costume designer in those days and my medium was water colors. I used that table top to mix my colors. I loved it, a palate finally as big as I needed. I don’t think I ever completely washed the table top until I sold it after I graduated. To this day I regret that sale!

For the next couple of weeks I will invite you into the area I loosely call my beading studio. I have a space in our basement that I have set up as a regular studio and a sewing studio, but because of my back issue I am unable to navigate stairs without pain and have not been in that space for almost a year and a half. It will be a while before I can show you that area…it has become a catch-all in the meantime. (sigh) But soon.












Back to the “bead studio”. Well really it is a corner of our living room. Mom finally got aggravated at having all my boxes of beads sitting on the floor, and we both were worried about her tripping over them, so we cleared out a little cabinet to store them in. I then purchased a wonderful drawer set from Notions by Nancy as well as the 2 carousels.


The table is a rescued top from an old drafting table that had long since lost its legs. I found folding table legs to attach and some cool silver coasters for feet. It is 3 feet by 2 feet – a perfect size for me. I love having the wheels as I can wheel it to a more comfortable chair that supports my back better on the “bad back pain” days.

Next week I will let you peek at the storage solutions I have come up with so far….but I am always on the lookout for better solutions for my growing collections of beads and supplies! Who isn’t?

If you would like to show off your studio, let me know. Drop me an email.

No comments:

Favorites from Etsy