Thursday, August 14, 2008

THIRSTY THURSDAY

What inspires you? What feeds your creative soul. Where do you go to get your creative juices going? On Thursdays I will be sharing where I go to get filled up creatively. I am calling it Thirsty Thursdays. Along the way I will probably also be including articles I have found on the web, from blogs, or other people’s thoughts about where they go to get inspired.

I am not sure what directions this will always take. It may take you into my sketch books to see what doodles I am doing, it may take you to pictures, books, images, thoughts and prayers that inspire me. Sometimes quotes will inspire me. Sometimes inspirations come at the most surprising times, sometimes inconvenient times.

Because I may never know when inspiration will fall into my brain, one of the first things I want to talk about is my “idea book”. This is one of the small daily moleskins. (I purchased a bunch of them a few years ago on year end clearance for about $5.00 a piece and use them in a variety of ways now that they are outdated). I also will use index cards to jot ideas down and keep them in the idea book. Sometimes it is scraps of paper too. But eventually they all get into the idea book.

This is not so much a sketch book as a place to capture ideas as/when they pop into consciousness. This happens to me in the most unusual places sometimes. At church during worship, during prayer time, during a conversation, watching a movie, driving, listening to music, reading, you name it I probably have had inspiration strike. The problem is, if I don’t somehow capture it I loose it. I always think I will remember, but really I don’t. So I carry this little book of ideas around with me read to scratch a few words or a sketch down to capture the idea of the inspiration. Most of the time it doesn’t have to be much, just enough to remind me later.

This has proved to be invaluable for me. When I feel frozen at the page I flip through the idea book. Sometimes after the idea pops up I can’t wait to get home and sketch or create what ever inspiration has struck. In either case it usually goes into my sketch book. Sometimes, in the case of jewelry it also takes me on a search for beads and findings that will translate that idea into a finished piece of jewelry.




What about you? How do you capture those creative ideas that pop into your mind at the most outrageous times?

No comments:

Favorites from Etsy